Sunday 14 September 2008

A Rainbow in Padova // Un Arcobaleno a Padova

I will write this post first in English and then in Italian, you can choose which one you want to read. // Scrivero' quest'avviso (blog post?) in inglese e dopo in italiano. Puoi scegliere quello vuoi leggere.


English:
We had to write a little composition with the topic: Think about when you arrived in Padova and describe the city according to one of the five senses (sight, sound, scent, taste, touch). My composition:

A Rainbow in Padova

When I arrived in Padova, I saw many colors everywhere.

Red: The food was colorful but it always had red in it. I ate a pizza with tomato sauce, a sandwich with mozzarella, olive oil, and tomatoes, and strawberry ice cream. The color gave life to the food, to this food prepared with care and lots of time. It wasn't like American fast food that is always brown and beige.

Orange: Orange is the color of heat (In Italian, "color" and "heat" sound almost the same). Like the light of a fire in a fireplace on a cold night welcomes you into a house, Italian people welcome you into their lives. When I signed up for the Ultimate team in Padova, I could feel it. The people spoke slowly for me and gave me rides to places.

Yellow: As soon as I came to this region, especially to Padova, I felt an air of mystery. Coming to Padova is like opening a mystery novel in the center (in Italian, the word for mystery novel is the same as for the color yellow). I didn't know much about the history of Padova but I could sense that many things have happened here. I felt a little bit like a detective that has to discover what has happened, what the people were like, but also what the people are like today.

Green: In my head are fields upon fields of green. New words and grammar rules are sprouting there and growing into green trees.

Blue: When I arrived in Padova, even the air was blue. It was not just that there wasn't a cloud in the sky but that the whole city had an air of tranquility; everything was calm.
I really enjoyed my first few days in Padova.


I gotta say, I got the color idea from the book I'm reading right now: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. In addition: I never realized how hard translating is. Just translating this piece back into English, even though I thought of it in English was actually really difficult!


//


Italiano:
Dovevamo scrivere una piccola composizione su questo tema: Pensa a quando sei arrivato a Padova e descrivi la citta' attraverso uno dei cinque sensi (vista, udito, olfatto, gusto, tatto). La mia composizione:

Un Arcobaleno a Padova

Quando sono arrivata a Padova, ho visto molti colori dappertutto.

Rosso: Il cibo era pieno di colori ma sempre aveva il rosso. Ho mangiato una pizza con sugo di pomodori, un panino di mozzerella, olio d'oliva, e pomodori, e anche un gelato alla fragola. Il colore dava vita al cibo, a questo cibo preparato con cura e tempo. Non e' come il "fast food" americano che e' sempre marrone e beige.

Arancione: Arancione e' il colore del calore. Come la luce di un fuoco in un camino in una notte fredda ti accoglie in una casa, persone italiane ti accolgono nelle loro vite. Quando mi so iscritta alla squadra d'ultimate frisbee a Padova, ho potuto sentirlo. Le persone parlavano italiano lentamente per me e me hanno dato passaggi in macchina.

Giallo: Appena sono venuta in questa regione, specialmente a Padova, ho sentito un'aria di mistero. Venire a Padova e' come aprire un giallo (il libro) al centro. Non ho saputo motlo della storia di Padova ma ho potuto sentire che molte cose sono successe qui. Mi sono sentita un po' come una investigatrice che deve scoprire cos'e' successo, com'era la gente, ma anche come sono le persone oggi.

Verde: Dentro la mia testa ci sono campi su campi di verde. Nuove parole e regole di grammatica spuntavano li' e stanno diventando alberi verdi.

Azzuro: Quando sono arrivata a Padova, anche l'aria era azzura. Non e' solo che il cielo era senza una nuvola ma tutta la citta' aveva un'aria di pace; tutto era tranquillo.

Mi sono piacuti molto i miei primi giorni pieni di colori a Padova.


Devo dirvi, ho scoperto quest'idea di colori dal libro che sto leggendo adesso: The Book Thief (Il Ladro di Libri) da Markus Zusak. In aggiunta, non ho mai realizzato che difficile e' tradurre. Era molto difficile tradurre la composizione ancora in inglese per me anche se l'ho scritto in inglese!


*image from: www.associazionearcobaleno.it

1 comment:

Misha said...

Ciao cara Liza. Quanto bella è la tua spiegazione dell'arcobaleno a Padova. Ci è piaciuto tanto. Auguri.
Michèle